50 Things You Didn’t Know
1. Michael Jackson is The Most-Awarded Artist Of All Time
. He won more awards than any other music alive or deceased.
He’s received 23 Guinness World Records, 40 Billboard Awards, 13
Grammys, and 26 American Music Awards.
2. Billie Jean was the first music video by a black artist to air on
MTV . Billie Jean
was the second single from Michael Jackson’s sixth solo album,
3. Michael Jackson is the highest-earning deceased artist. He has
been recognized by the Guinness Book Of World Records in a new
category for Highest-Earning Deceased Artist, gaining the top
honor. In the first year after his passing in 2009, Jackson’s estate
raked in a reported $1 billion.
4. When Michael Jackson listened to his songs from his days in
“The Jackson 5”; he said he
sounded like “Minnie Mouse.”
6. Michael Jackson’s famous dance move, the moonwalk, is said
to have been based on the routine of mime artist Marcel Marceau .
7. He had some famous godchildren , Lionel Ritchie’s daughter
Nicole and Bee Gees singer Barry Gibb’s son Michael.
8. He performed his first public performance at the tender age of 5
and sang ‘Climb Every Mountain’.
9. Thriller is the best selling album of all time. It sold 42.4 million
10. Thriller spent 122 weeks on the Billboard 200.
12. The Thriller video was narrated by Vincent Price.
13. The costumes for the “Thriller” video came from the Salvation
14. The popular Thriller video that we’ve all come to know and love
almost didn’t make the cut . Michael wanted the “Thriller” video
destroyed after he found out that the Jehovah’s Witnesses heard
he was doing a video about a werewolf. He later agreed to go
ahead with it after a disclaimer was added to the video.
15. Michael Jackson’s love interest in the “Thriller” video, Ola Ray,
was a Playboy Playmate. She later suggested that she and Michael
had a fling while shooting the video. This is what she looks like
16. Counting Jackson 5 LPs and his solo work, Thriller was
Michael’s 19th studio album.
17. The Thriller music video has its own Lego version.
18. Britney Spears recently paid homage the music video’s
monologue for BBC Radio 1 and it is hilarious!
19. His favorite food was Mexican. A burrito and taco would leave
him happy and satisfied.
20. His middle name was Joseph – Michael Joseph Jackson.
21. Two other best-selling records of the world of his also
include ‘Bad’ and ‘Dangerous’ .
22. His Neverland Ranch is a 2,700-acre property that has a theme
park , a menagerie, and a movie theater. Here’s a video of what the
ranch looked like before Michael Jackson passed away.
23. The Ranch was valued at $100 million 10 years ago.
24. He had a deep love of children – perhaps because of his lost
childhood due to his early singing career. He would wear a black
armband to remind people of suffering children around the world.
25. He has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame , one for
himself and one for the Jackson 5.
26. He won eight Grammy’s in 1984 – the highest amount ever won
by one person in a single year.
27. Billie Jean is based on a true story . Michael claims an
obsessive fan tried to say he was the father of her child.
28. His song Beat It made it to “white radio” stations due to Eddie
Van Halen’s guitar solo on the track
29. Eddie Van Halen recorded his guitar solo for free !
30. Jackson’s father, Joe Jackson, used to scare him when he was
child by using monster masks.
31. He played a scarecrow in a The Wiz
, a movie version of the Wizard of Oz.
32. As a child, his favorite animated character was Pinocchio .
33. Jackson was close friends with actor Macaulay Caulkin and
appeared in the video of
Black Or White
. He is also the godfather to Jackson’s children Prince and Paris.
34. He had lavish taste and the means to satisfy it . He bought the
Best Picture Oscar awarded to David O. Selznick for Gone With The
Wind for $1.5 million in 1999.
35. He made international headlines after he was photographed
and filmed dangling his son Prince from over a Berlin hotel
balcony in 2002 .
36. He was once accused by a library of owing $1 million in
overdue book fines !
37. He was fond of pets. He had a python called Crusher, two
llamas called Louis and Lola and his most famous pet was
Bubbles, the chimpanzee .
38. Bubbles went on to be an aid for research after he was adopted
from a Texan cancer research clinic when he was three .
39. The music video of his single Liberian Girl features an
extraordinary ensemble of the era’s stars including – John
Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Whoopi Goldberg, Steven Spielberg,
Quincy Jones, Virginia Madsen, David Copperfield, Danny Glover
and Dan Akroyd. He only appeared at the end of the video.
40. He moved to Bahrain, on invitation by the Sheikh of Bahrain,
after he was acquitted of sexual abuse charges in 2005.
41. He said he had only two cosmetic surgery procedures, one on
his nose and the other on his chin. Jackson broke his nose during
a complex dance routine in 1979 and underwent rhinoplasty
surgery which was not a success as he said he had problems
breathing . Many believe that he used this as an excuse to get a
nose job. His extreme physical transformation suggests that he’s
had more than just two, however.
42. Jackson was charged with seven counts of child sexual abuse
and two counts of administering an intoxicating agent in order to
commit a child sexual abuse felony against Gavin Arvizo in 2003,
who was under 14 at the time. Earlier that year, a Granada
Television documentary, called Living with Michael Jackson,
showed the pop star holding hands and discussing sleeping
arrangements with Arvizo. Jackson was found not guilty but this
ultimately affected his music career.
44. For beauty purposes and to live longer, Michael Jackson used
to sleep in an oxygen tent. He later donated the bed to a
Californian medical center as a therapeutic aid for burn victims.
45. There is an Egyptian sculpture which bears a striking
resemblance to Michael Jackson. This was spotted by Flickr user
mandalariangirl at the Field Museum in Chicago.
46. Michael Jackson invented and patented special boots that
allowed the wearer to lean so far forward that it seems to defy
gravity. He used these for the famous “lean” in the “Smooth
Criminal” music video.
47. He suffered from a rare genetic disease called Alpha-1
antitrypsin deficiency. The inherited disorder that may cause lung
disease and liver disease.
48. The Los Angeles mansion he was renting just before he passed
away once belonged to Sean Connery.
49. Jackson paid a staggering $47 million for the publishing rights
to the Beatles back catalogue in 1985 and sold a share of to Sony
in 1995 for $95 million.
50. Michael Jackson’s memorial service was watched by over 2.5
billion viewers worldwide, which would make it the most watched
live television broadcast in history worldwide. Although this
number is not widely agreed upon, it was still a widely watched
MJ World Wikicommons