Tiwatope Savage-Balogun, better known by her stage name Tiwa Savage, is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, recording artist, performer and actress. She is currently signed to Sony/ATV Music Publishing and Mavin Records. Tiwa Savage has come a long way to become a household name in Nigeria. Here are a few things you didn’t know about the pretty singer:
1. TiwaSavage studied Music. In a society where music is seen as leisure and just became a bankable profession the star took a leap of faith and went to the Berklee College of Music where she graduated in 2007.
2. Also in line with her passion for music, she became a background vocalist from a few major acts like Mary J. Blige, Sting, George Micheal, Kelly Clarkson and even Spice girls.
3. She was once on X-Factor. X-Factor is a US music talent show that’s for the best and only the best. Well, our girl Tiwatope auditioned to be in X-Factor and was able to make it to the final 24.
4. She came back to Nigeria to start off her musical career and now owns her own company called 323 Music Entertainment with manager, Tunji ‘Tee Billz’ Balogun whom she got married to later on.
5. She is currently signed to Sony USA Record Label and also Don Jazzy’s MAVIN Records.
6. She landed a Pepsi deal with Wizkid where she gets to be the face of the Pepsi brand in Africa. She is the first African female artist to be associated with the brand.
7. Her acting debut came in the stage adaptation of “For Coloured Girls” alongside Joke Silva and Ireti Doyle.
8. Her engagement to her husband,Tunji “Tee-Billz” Balogun took place on her birthday in 2013.
9. She has a degree in Business Administration from the University Of Kent in the United Kingdom and on graduation she worked with the Royal Bank of Scotland.
10. She was the first female Nigerian artist to get a MOBO award. She attended the event previously as a back-up singer.
11. The R.E.D album debuted on MTN Music+ on November 19 and within 24 hours broke the record for highest streaming downloads and is now the most streamed album of all time on MTN Music+.
12. She is the first Nigerian celebrity to have a mother-son deal with Pampers.